Apprenticeship #1 Course
“Do you struggle to finish music? Join the apprenticeship and learn how to become a Song-Whisperer. You'll be able to effortlessly make new sections, transition between them, and complete your songs!”
— Ray Harmony (Hack Music Theory)
- Join 400+ apprentices from 40+ countries, who are all learning Ray Harmony's ultimate hack: Song-Whispering (100% exclusive to this course!)
- Ray's Secret Art of Song-Whispering will empower you to effortlessly finish your songs, resulting in the surreal sensation that your music is writing itself!
- Contains: 17 hours of video with exclusive hacks, multitrack MIDI file, Hack Music Theory, Part 1 eBook, Songwriting & Producing PDF
- Level: beginner to advanced, as while the theory is more creative/advanced than our YouTube videos, Ray still hacks everything for you!
- Rare, one-of-a-kind opportunity to watch unedited footage of Ray writing a whole song (Mile Zero), and teaching all the theory he uses
- Our apprenticeships cost $8,000 in person, but online we can squeeze everyone into our little studio all at once, hence the low price
- Topics include: how to write a new section for an existing section, how to transition between sections, how to structure and arrange
- The learning platform is multi-device friendly, so you can keep these exclusive hacks in your pocket, and do our course on the move
- There is no deadline, so you can learn stress-free at your own pace, and your one payment buys you permanent access to the course
- Gain access* to our private Apprentice Network, an exclusive social network for apprentices only, with a free app for iOS and Android
Get your hands on Ray's secrets now, and transform yourself into a confident and creative music-maker overnight, if you binge-watch!
- Introduction, overview, how your music can write itself, etc.
- Conceptualizing, starting a song, vocal hook, etc. (Chorus)
- Counterpoint vocal harmony, scratch vocals, etc. (Chorus)
- Bass line, counterpoint, tension & resolution, etc. (Chorus)
- Drum beat, bass line, keyboard harmonies, etc. (Chorus)
- Song-whispering, transitioning, new section, etc. (Verse)
- Lead & backing vocal melodies, variations, etc. (Verse)
- Bass line, drum beat, vocal counterpoint, etc. (Verse)
- New section, transitioning, structuring, etc. (Pre-Chorus)
- Another new section, ways to modulate, etc. (Post-Chous)
- Another new section, polymeter, transitions, etc. (Bridge)
- Bass line, non-diatonic notes, vocal melodies, etc. (Bridge)
- Structuring, arranging, energy, instruments, finishing, etc.
- Lyrics, how to fit lyrics to melodies, recording vocals, etc.
- Playthrough of final song “Mile Zero” (mixed & mastered)
Gain access*** to our exclusive Apprentice Network, a space to:
- Connect with your fellow apprentices
- Ask your classmates theory questions
- Share your new music with each other
- Get feedback from around the world
- Collaborate with like-minded people
*Access is at our discretion, and is not included in the Apprenticeship course.
**Trolling, bad vibes, and all that negative stuff ain't happening under our roof!
Apprentice of the Year
"Totally life-changing in understanding how pros create great music."
–David G (Brighton, UK)
"I've watched Apprenticeship #1 four times now. I was planning on starting #2 a while back, but keep finding more knowledge in #1 with every viewing!" –Glynne Owen (Tokyo, Japan)
"A total game-changer! I feel way more confident in my music theory knowledge. Making music is now a joy; no longer frustrating. It's like I'm now free to do whatever I want. Theory is no longer an 'adversary' for me, now we're friends." –Daniel Ivan (București, România)
"This apprenticeship course has really changed the game for me, in a huge way!! I have been looking for something like this for a long time, theory now makes so much more sense to me, and I have been able to overcome so many hurdles that I found difficult before. I'm very excited and happy to have found this course, even if I won the lottery I wouldn't be as excited or as happy as I am now, these courses are worth every penny, and then some. Thanks so much Ray and Kate!" –John Ganzer (Calgary, Canada)
"If you haven't ponied up the money and gotten yourself on the inside circle of Ray & Kate's tutorials via the Apprenticeship Program, you're simply missing the boat. Take a break and stop buying gear and plugins you don't need, and buy into some real knowledge from these peeps. Upgrade your brain, not your DAW." –Paul LeBlanc (Los Angeles CA, USA)
"These detailed videos have taken me through a journey of making smart, precise, and passionate music. The Hack Music Theory YouTube videos are priceless, but the apprenticeship videos helped me take it to the next level, by describing the detailed process of taking a song 'Mile Zero' from start to finish and how to make adjustments as the song develops." –Adam Zero (San Diego CA, USA)
"This apprenticeship course is an absolute gold mine of depth and substance. Every step of the song unfolding, and every decision taken is explained clearly with nothing left out, making it easy to take the principles taught and use them right away. I'm already breaking out of ruts by applying what they teach, and roadblocks such as creating new sections, or key changes, have simply disappeared! I couldn't be happier with the results, and I'm already looking forward to Apprenticeship #2. Buy this in a heartbeat, it's sheer genius!" –Steve Pullinger (Hastings, UK)
"I loved the course. Within the first week I had written 2 completely new songs with a whole band sound, and have now started to pull some of the hundreds of song ideas that have been floating around my brain for the last 3 decades. Kate and Ray, you have made this fun, insightful, exciting and satisfying. I have always played and written by feel, I can't read music and had no concept of theory... the door has been opened, and I am so excited to find what is on the other side." –Mike Canty (Oregon, USA)
"I have been a musician for 25 years. Classically trained on the viola. Play guitar, piano, sing, and just picked up the banjo. Even have some touring experience. I thought I had a pretty good handle on theory, but something about the way Ray presents theory seems to finally have snapped something into place. I owe you one, Ray!" –Ryan Mulligan (Tacoma WA, USA)
"You gave me the knowledge of auto-analysing what I'm doing, and most of all, you showed me how to structure my time during the process. Seeing you thinking out loud gave me a new perspective of how I should work, and how to use the musical knowledge that I acquired. I have to admit that the price of the course is very low if you take into account the quantity of hacks and the total duration of this course. It's an actual bargain!! Now is the end of my days of unproductive work, and the beginning of a new age of composition for me." –Antoine Schaeffer (France)
"I now have a number of options and techniques (or 'hacks') to employ at the various junctures in the songwriting process, and I have a far better idea of why things sound good and bad. I also feel competent enough in my songwriting vocabulary to conceptualise and realise, rather than 'randomize' and hope for the best. There is always so much to learn but I finally feel like I have the right foundation in place to build on, and this has given me the confidence to believe that I can be a successful songwriter and producer!" –Mark Rose (Haslemere, UK)
"This course is as in-depth as it gets with regards to writing a song, including drum programming relevant to each section; an added bonus if you ask me. All presented with a sense of fun and excitement, which is constantly engaging and never boring. Just an insane amount of information presented clearly and precisely." –Gareth Jones (Wales, UK)
"Ray and Kate are not only some of the best, most accessible teachers of music theory, they also show you how to use it. Their ‘Mile Zero’ series shares every second of the songwriting process. It’s rare to actually see musicians forming ideas, experimenting in the MIDI window, even thinking out loud. It’s helped me hugely!" –Mat Hill (London, UK)
"Being able to watch 'Mile Zero' unfold in the raw creative process was such a great opportunity for learning. I've been able to apply some of these techniques to writing new music with my band. Not being a producer myself (I'm a bassist), I found the theory easy to apply, and I blew my drummer's mind with all these concepts haha!" –Aoxian (Pittsburgh PA, USA)